Re: Are Sunblade 1000s slow?

Andrew Sharp wrote:

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:57:13PM +0200, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
On Thursday 02 October 2003 19:29, Patrick Morris wrote:
Kent West wrote:
snert[@macs54]:/home/snert> cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : TI UltraSparc III+ (Cheetah+)
fpu             : UltraSparc III+ integrated FPU
promlib         : Version 3 Revision 5
prom            : 4.5.16
type            : sun4u
ncpus probed    : 1
ncpus active    : 1
Cpu0Bogo        : 599.65

Er, that doesn't look right.  Even if you have one of those "hard-to-find"
(heh) sunblade1000's with a 600MHz cpu, then this should be more like
the other machines, ie., it should read Cpu0Bogo 1200.  I'd say you
need to do some fixin on your kernel/compiler, or somebody else does.
Most likely, the version of gcc3 that was used has some problem producing
code that works right on US3 cpus.  This machine should be significantly
faster to use than your P3.  Not only is the cpu faster, but the data
paths to memory and peripherals is a lot faster.

If you would like to send me your 1000 to play with for six months, I'm
sure I could figure out what's wrong.  ~:^)

And oh yeah, don't waste any more of your valuable time trying to figure
anything out with glxgears.

Thanks for the response. I initially tried to get an "official" kernel by following the links in the installation manual (http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/ch-appendix.en.html#s-file-descs), but those links (http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-sparc/current/sparc64/tftpboot.img) are dead. So I backed up a few levels from this address and then spidered back down to http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-sparc/current/sun4u/tftpboot.img, but that image wouldn't boot on the Blade 1000. So I googled for another image, and found the one at http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/sparc64/ which did boot and which is now working. What you're saying makes me think my next thing to try will be to "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.21-sparc64". Thanks for the info! I'll post the results of "cat /proc/cpuinfo" after the installation later today or tomorrow.

--
Kent