Re: sparc-mini.iso: Illegal instruction on my Ultra10

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 12:26, Olivier Bornet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to re-install Debian on my Ultra 10. I want to directly install
> sarge. I have try three methods:
>
> 1. direct boot of my sarge CD. Seems this is not a bootable CD.
>
> 2. with tftp. Unfortunately, the image :
>    .../debian/dists/woody/main/disks-sparc/current/sun4u/tftpboot.img
>    don't want to install from my sarge CD. And I have not found a tftp
>    image for sarge.
>
> 3. with sparc-mini.iso from:
>    http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/
>    The CD boot, I can choose either the linux or the rescue kernel, but
>    it say very soon (when loading the kernel I thing) "Illegal
>    instruction".
>
> What other possibilities exist ? One I don't have try, but must be
> working is to install the stable Woody, and than upgrade. But is there a
> more direct way to install sarge ? CD boot or netboot is OK for me.

I reinstalled my U10 recently with Woody, and upgraded to Sarge.  (A
roundabout way of downgrading from Sid to Sarge, so the machine could go
into a production environment.)

The Woody install was more painful than I remember my earlier one
being.  I tried the mini-iso as well as an earlier netinst.iso both from
Ben's space on Auric.

I succeeded with the old netinst, after some flailing to work around the
problem that Ben's current Auric tree uses "sparc64" instead of "sun4u".
(Maybe a symlink sun4u -> sparc64 would help there?)  The installer on
netinst.iso expects "sun4u" when searching for the kernel and driver.tgz
files.  I ended up putting the kernel and drivers.tgz file from Auric
onto my own HTTP server in a directory tree named to match what the
netinst installer was expecting.

The mini-iso was more painful.  I got around the illegal instruction
error using

  boot cdrom /boot/sparc64

as others on the list have advised, but could not get the root diskette
image to load from the CD or floppy using various root= appendages to
the above command.

-- SP