Re: Ultra Enterprise 2 with SMP: illegal instruction in grep

Ben Collins wrote:
On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:48:40AM -0500, Matthew Mitchell wrote:

Ben Collins wrote:

Just to double-check I installed kernel-image-2.4.21-sparc64 (no smp) and everything does work fine under it. The same version of that package, except with the added -smp, causes breakage.

Any chance you have one of the old libc6-v9 or libc6-sparcv9 packages
installed? Try running "ldd /bin/grep" to make sure it is using
/lib/libc.so.6.

Already checked that, and it all looks kosher.

I can only say that Debian has an UltraSPARC60 running 2.4.21-rc2, and
it is running woody. It's a dual processor system (2x450mhz II).

I figured I wasn't the only one. :) Do you have any way of finding out what version of libc6 and libc6-sparc64 are on that machine? The versions in "testing" right now are the same as the ones I have installed. I'd like to try another version but I don't want to jump to stable or unstable if I can avoid it.

2.2.5

Nothing is using libc6-sparc64 though.

OK, well, since it's easier to upgrade libc6 than it is to downgrade to stable, that's what I tried, and it did seem to fix the problem. Sounds like it's time for a bug report on libc6 2.3.1-16.

Thanks for all of your help.

--
Matthew Mitchell
Systems Programmer/Administrator            matthew@geodev.com