Re: Ultra Enterprise 2 with SMP: illegal instruction in grep

Ben Collins wrote:
The machine is not on a network so I can't cut and paste, but here are some relevant package versions:

Are you compiling your own SMP kernels, or using the images I've built?

According to dpkg -s, you built them.

Nothing in the kernel logs when this grep thing happens?

Not a thing in any log, nor anything I can see out of the ordinary in dmesg.

For grins I tried running it under gdb, and looking at the assembly where it died. I wish I could cut and paste, but alas, I can only offer this summary:

The illegal instruction occurs at address 7000cfbc, which is the entry point for the function _dl_debug_state_internal. (This function is in ld-linux.so.2) It is a 'nop'. It is immediately preceded by a 'restore', though the address is in a different function according to the debugger.

Not being an expert in sparc internals I don't know what all of this means, but it would seem that the problem doesn't have anything to do with grep itself, but instead with some part of libc and the dynamic linker.

Just to double-check I installed kernel-image-2.4.21-sparc64 (no smp) and everything does work fine under it. The same version of that package, except with the added -smp, causes breakage.

--
Matthew Mitchell
Systems Programmer/Administrator            matthew@geodev.com