Re: Ultra Enterprise 2 with SMP: illegal instruction in grep

Ben Collins wrote:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:13:48PM -0500, Matthew Mitchell wrote:

Hello all,

I am trying to get Debian up and running on an old Ultra Enterprise 2 (sun4u, 2x300MHz UltraSPARC II) and running into trouble when using an SMP kernel.

Everything seems to work peachy with a 2.4.18 UP kernel. Upon boot with a 2.4.19 or 2.4.21 SMP kernel (the only two I have tried, and I can be more specific), the shell's processing of /etc/init.d/rcS goes awry because every time it tries to invoke grep, it dies with an "Illegal Instruction".

Running grep from the shell does the same thing.

The machine is not on a network so I can't cut and paste, but here are some relevant package versions:

Are you compiling your own SMP kernels, or using the images I've built?

According to dpkg -s, you built them.

--
Matthew Mitchell
Systems Programmer/Administrator            matthew@geodev.com