Re: leo on the SS10? and various buggies..

--On Wednesday, July 23, 2003 10:37 PM -0400 Steve Pacenka <spacenka@lightlink.com> wrote:

I literally just swapped a leo back into my SS10 two days ago.  It
worked fine with console and X earlier with Woody and now with Sarge
(XFree86 4.2 I believe).

XF86Config-4 settings = 32 bits per pixel, 1280x1024 res.

Perhaps the anti-leo+10'ers are concerned about heat.  I don't run my
box for extended periods.  No heat-related problems -- it's very
reliable in general.  I put the leo in the upper SBUS slots, and I have
a network card below them.  Two SM51 CPU cards.  (Aside: This box is
very responsive under X with the leo.)

I'm not sure if this is a kernel issue, but since I *just* got this box
and  *just* got debian installed on it I'm not completely sure what the
best  versions of whatever I should be using.

I think I'm using kernel 2.2.19 SMP.  The kernel's framebuffer support
drives the leo too, i.e. I see two penguins when booting.  No special
args to silo.

Do you see a Penguin?  Then your kernel is ok.

What is this "leo" hardware you speak of?

I have a SS20 with 2 75MHz SuperSparcs and a CG-14 VSIMM installed for video. I'm currently running Debian stable (2.4.21), and X is usable (using TWM as my WM @ 32bpp @ 1152x864), but I wouldn't call it responsive (as a reference point I do find my Athlon 800 to be responsive when running KDE). I built Mozilla 1.3.1, and it too is usable, but things like scrolling are VERY slow. Would this leo hardware improve things for me?

I've thought of installing Solaris, just to see if their X implementation has some sort of acceleration for this hardware (i.e. to see if it's even possible to get decent performance out of the hardware). As I understand it, XFree86 4.x has no acceleration for the CG-14. Should I give up on the VSIMM and try a leo?

Thanks in advance.

Brian