gdb " no core file handler recognizes format"

I've run into the sparc-gdb bug of " no core file handler recognizes format"
when trying to load a core file. Looking thru the archives I see references
to this being a Sparc only problem. I've tried the Woody stable and unstable
versions, and they both have the problem.

Hase anyone come up with a fix or work around for this? Since my program uses
PVM, I can't just run gdb on the program first to trap the bug.

--
S.W.
aka Learner