Re: Debian 3.0 on Netra X1, installs but won't run

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 04:12:24PM -0700, Marc Singer wrote:
> One other thing.  I've heard that the performance of Ultrasparc Linux
> is not expected to be as good as Solaris because user-mode Sparc
> binaries run in a 32 bit mode.  How do you feel about how well Linux

As far as I know solaris also uses a 32-bit user mode. Checking...
Use, all the binaries I check on solaris-8 ar 32-bit only. The
commerical products I work on use 64-bit kernel drivers and 32-bit
user-mode as well.

For most situations 32-bit user mode is probably better due to the
smaller memory requiements.

> runs on the Ultrasparc?

It *feels* a lot better working on the machines. How that translates
when doing real work I don't know yet. And when I was running on
Ultra-5 hardware at work it was so good it's not funny tohave a
useable console with a decent number of columns and rows and decent
scrolling performance!

--
 Jamie Lenehan              Work Phone: +61 3 9843 8817
 lenehan@twibble.org        Work Email: jamie.lenehan@activcard.com.au