Re: Sparc5 woody CDR boot woes

Taras Ciuriak wrote:
I settled on Debian as the Linux I wanted to install on it and have since been downloading the ISOs. However, I cannot get the machine to boot from CDROM. While I'm no schlub when it comes to PCs, I'll hold my hand up, I'm no expert on Sun hardware...still, this perplexes me and I hope someone out there with some expertise can help.
hava a look at http://docs.sun.com/ (doesn't work with tcp_ecn enabled)
and http://www.sunstuff.org/ and http://www.sunhelp.org/ and http://www.sun.com/bigadmin

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/801-6396-11 <-- SS5
http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/802-7085-10 <-- SS5-110

The machine is laid out as follows; Sparc5 with 64MB (sorry, don't know which CPU...banner isn't telling at power-on or at OpenBoot prompt!),
did you look on the back?

two internal HDAs, first is 4.2GB, second is 2.?GB. Two external 1GB
probaly 2.1GB...

SCSI disks are attached as devices 4 & 5 and device 6 is an external CDROM drive. This CDROM is P/N 599-2044-02, packaged as a SUN unit, model #611. That's all I can find off the box to indentify it. Googling on the part number reveals a zilch. Wretch.
http://www.sunstuff.org/hardware/partnumbers/599/2/0/4/4/

Anyway, I put the first CDR I burned from the downloaded ISO in and typed "boot cdrom" at the Ok prompt. Result? "Can't read disk label. Can't open disk label package. Can't open boot device."
You're sure it's the sparc version?
Try a different color recordable or a different brand...
did you use md5sum to check the image?

I verified the disc as readable on my Linux laptop. I googled my dupa off trying everyone & their uncle's suggestions for problems of this ilk, all to no avail. I stuck in an official Solaris 2.7 CD and it booted, so Stop-A'd and stuck in a CDR of Solaris 2.6 on the off chance the CDROM drive merely couldn't read CDRs. It booted.

My only stab is that it can't read the CDR I've written 'cause it's on a 700MB CDR, but I can't find any evidence anywhere on the web that that could be a problem. Basically, I'm stuffed if I know what's wrong.

So, if you've read this far, thanks and have you got any ideas I can try out?
My sparcstation doesn't have a cdrom nor a floppydrive....so I used 'boot net' and it worked just fine....

|     Daniel van Eeden <daniel_e@dds.nl>      |
| icq: 36952189                               |
| aim: Compukid128                            |
| msn: daniel_e@dds.nl                        |
| phone: +31 343 522622                       |
| http://compukid.no-ip.org/about_me.html     |