Re: Window Managers

Aravind Vinnakota wrote:

> Hi all,
>   Thanks for all the responses. I tried twm, gnome, icewm, blackbox and
> tldesk window managers. Of which I could not find any browsers other than
> lynx. The netscape browser which is coming default with some of the window
> managers does not seem to execute. When I use gnome all the the windows
> seem to settle on the extreme left top corner. I dont know where I am
> making a mistake, but I am looking for something like KDE or GNOME like on
> redhat where we have plenty of options, large number of browsers, etc. I
> think I am unable to find the right one. Any suggestions? Please cc me.

  you can install gnome and/or kde, just like on redhat.

  you can also install browsers, use apt-cache search to search for
packages, or dselect or aptitude to browse packages (or debian.org web
page) and install all the browsers you need. The most popular seem to be
mozilla and galeon, KDE comes with konqueror, there is number of other
browsers as well...

  the browsers do not come with window managers (or desktop
environments), the window manager just manages the windows, the menu is
created based on applications installed (each package can provide a manu
entry, see /usr/lib/menu).

  if an application does not execute from menu, try to execute it from
command line (xterm or other terminal program) and see if you get any
error messages. Check the /usr/lib/menu to see how window manager tries
to execute the program.

  the placement of windows is function of window manager, check the docs
for the given window manager.

	erik