NTP-woes

Hi!

Debian stable on a SS1:

gonzales:/home/waldner# date
Mon Jan  1 03:13:26 CET 1968
gonzales:/home/waldner# date +"%s"
-63150389

Negative ctime?!

Ok, it lost it's NVRAM again, but here comes the (for me) confusing
 part:

gonzales:/home/waldner# /etc/init.d/ntpdate start
Running ntpdate to synchronize clock.
gonzales:/home/waldner# date
Sun Mar  4 12:06:29 CET 1934
gonzales:/home/waldner# date +"%s"
-1130676319

The ntp-server has the correct time, that's out of the question.

Any hints on how I could reliably fix that? I can set the time to
 something closer to reality, then ntpdate works, but that seems
 especially ugly if done in an init-script.

gonzales:/home/waldner# date -s "Sat Jan  1 00:00:00 CET 2000"
Sat Jan  1 00:00:00 CET 2000
gonzales:/home/waldner# date
Sat Jan  1 00:00:02 CET 2000
gonzales:/home/waldner# /etc/init.d/ntpdate start
Running ntpdate to synchronize clock.
gonzales:/home/waldner# date
Fri Mar 22 15:24:41 CET 2002

cheers+tia,
&rw
--
-- Airplane travel is nature's way of making
-- you look like your passport photo.