Re: SS20 2.4 SMP, irregular boot freezes and swapon segfaults

> on my ss10 (2 ross 142MHz / 1024 cache / 128MB)
> a 2.4.18-smp from kernel.org and some 2.4-kernels form SuSE
> crash the same way like yours. sometimes after startig init,
> sometimes on initializing ram and so on.
> If it starts to the prompt, it is much slower then 2.2.20-smp
> and it shows only ~100 Bogomips per cpu vs. 143 Bogomips in 2.2.20-smp

I get the same drop in bogomips, but I did not get a slower system...

> This all seem to be compiler/bintools dependend (gcc 2.95 vs. egcs32)
> and some People say, the 2.4.18 and up may be stable on not-ROSS-cpu's
> and without smp.

Did you try with egcs? I wonder if that is true...

> IMHO it is a Problem nearby the Ross MMU or in managing the CPU-Cache.
> Can someone post assembler language docu for Ross cpu's to my Adress?
> I'll try to hunt the Bug but there is rare docu on the Web.

I asked for this information on sparclinux@vger.kernel.org, but nobody
answered... probably they did not like my mail ;)
I will try to help if I can, but I'm a greenhorn concerning the kernel
code... and sparcs.

thanks
emanuel