Re: CD install (was Re: SS20 2.4 SMP)

"Luca Zampetti" <zampetti@bellsouth.net> writes:

> It is an old SPARC 5 with original Sun CD ROM device & hard disks ...
> supposed to be used as a torture instrument for learning unix & linux ...
> that does not help ... hello mr. Adam Di Carlo, aren't you the burner of
> this thing?
>
> What do you think about it?
>
> Did you cook it too fast?

I don't burn CDs so don't look at me.

Personally i have an Ultra 5 and I was unable to get it to book from
the Sparc CDs at all.  I had to use TFTP installation.  However, the
problem I got was different from your -- it just couldn't find the
bootable bit on the CD at all.  I dunno, maybe Ultra 5s have the wrong
OpenBoot path and 'boot cdrom' just doesn't work on them.  Maybe (most
likely?) my CD-ROM is kinda broken.

> > On 12/4/02 at 4:10 PM, Luca Zampetti <zampetti@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I know that this has nothing to do with you - but I am installing
> > > debian linux for sparc on a SPARC machine and I am getting all the time
> > > during the decompression of the files from the CDROM error messages
> about
> > > "corrupt files" like this
> > >
> > > file: /instmnt/pool/main/d/dpkg/dpkg_1.9.21.sparc.deb was
> > > corrupt

I can only think that you're having a CD-ROM problem as well.  Do you
have a fast network?  If so, you could download the pkgs from network.
Or perhaps you could put the CD-ROM on another Unix box and NFS share
it?