Re: [Re: Killed my SPARC5?]

  Thanks for the input.  I have no screen whatsoever so I can't set any of the
PROM parameters (setenv stuff).  Maybe I could try it blind... although I'm
not sure that the system is actually functioning since there's no LED.

  Kris

urt Mosiejczuk <kurt@csh.rit.edu> wrote:

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Donald Knecht wrote:

> this may or may not be related..........but ever since i installed a new
> boot prom on my
> ss20, if i manually turn the power off to the box then re-apply power it
> sits there for
> about five minutes with just the power supply fan and the hard drive fan
> running, the power LED is on..........then the monitor, (GDM17E10) will
> switch on and the OPB screen will come up, another weird thing about
> this prom is setenv seems to not work, it will not remember my settings,
> if i change boot-device to disk it still comes up trying net as
> default....is this a bad prom or is the nvram going?  what is the
> program kris speaks of that lets you change prom settings from linux?

Try entering 'setenv diag-switch? false'.  You replaced your boot PROM
so it reset to diagnostic mode.  The default in diagnostic mode is to
try booting from the net, despite what boot-device says.

--Kurt