Re: removing unwanted packages

--- Costas Magos <kmag@lab.epmhs.gr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a woody running on a SPARCclassic. I want
> this machine to be a
> dedicated DNS server, meaning that only bind9
> package (and sshd) is
> actually wanted. Is there a way (or a tool) to
> remove everything I don't
> need without crippling the system?

Take a look at the package list (dpkg -l) and remove
anything you don't want.  If it's essential for
running, apt will let you know via dependencies or big
warnings.  Generally there's really not much running
off of a fresh install with no options.  You could
probably ditch inetd and portmap unless you need them.
 deborphan will help you remove unnecessary libraries.
 I don't know of a canonical list of things to remove
though.

Matthew H. Ray