Woody installation boot trouble with Sun Blade 100

I have a new Sun Blade 100 and am trying to replace the pre-installed
Solaris 8 OS with Debian Woody.  I am installing from the CD-ROM.  At
first, I started with the standard Woody CD image.  But then I read
the list archives and decided to try Ben Collins' netinstall image.  I
burned a CD with that and installed the packages from the network per
directions at:

"http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2002/debian-sparc-200208/msg00151.html";

With either image, the installation seems to go fine up until I select
"Make system bootable" option and reboot.  If I say something like
'boot disk1:a' (where I installed my root partition) at the prompt, I
do not see a 'SILO' as expected; instead it just hangs at that point.

I initially had trouble following the instruction to install the newer
SILO package because 'wget' isn't initially installed.  I got around
it by making an /etc/apt/sources.list file and doing 'apt-get update'
and 'apt-get install wget'.  Installing the newer SILO version didn't
help things.

My /etc/silo.conf reads:

partition=1
root=/dev/hda1
timeout=100
image=/vmlinuz
label=linux
read-only

Does anyone have suggestions to make this thing boot from the disk?

Thanks,
Roy Bixler
rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu

P.S.  I also tried to pass a 'root=/dev/hda1' parameter in with the
CD-ROM boot, but still got the installation program.  Is it possible
to bypass the installation program or do I have to make my own
bootable CD?