Re: Woody/U1 installation problems

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 01:39:46PM +0100, Stuart Yarrow wrote:
> Hello again :-)
>
> Installing Woody on an Ultra 1 via RARP/TFTP/HTTP using standard files from
> a mirror...
>
> Immediately before it enters the kernel module installation menu,
>
> cannot create /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe: directory nonexistant
>
> appears on the background of the display. I'm not sure whether this is a
> problem...
>
> If I try to create a boot disk, the machine hangs as soon as I press enter,
> and does not respond to Stop-a.  The floppy spins in the drive, but there is
> no head movement.  This appears to be the same problem as I wrote about
> before when booting from floppies.

Formatting a floppy from an Ultra has always caused crashes. I'm not
sure why I've left that option enabled.

> Assuming that I skip the boot disk creation, all is well until I reboot from
> the hard disk for the first time, when I get all the way to the first
> dialogue box saying 'Congratulations, you have successfully installed
> Debian!' etc, but when I hit enter to continue the machine crashes with a
> long series of dumps.
>
> I also noticed that, as someone else mentioned, it can't read the hardware
> clock as it is booting...am I right in thinking that the next stage of the
> configuration would be setting up the time zone? Is it possible that this
> crash is due to the clock not being set?

It's possible that some driver being enabled (when it shouldn't on a U1)
is causing the problem. Do you have the ability to compile a kernel? If
not, I can try to compile one for you with some things disabled, so you
can test.

Ben

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/