Which gcc? (was Re: kernel 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 for sparc)

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:24:38AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
[...]
> DaveM gets an email everytime this box crashes, although I try not to
> bother him too much :) He's been the key person getting the kernel
> stable enough for this machine (stock 2.2.x kernels could not handle the
> load on this box).

Good to see they're making a lot of progress. The 2.4.x kernels have
worked very well for me. I am a heavy i386 user, but these kernels have
worked well for me on Sparc64 in the short time I have been using this
architecture. I hope 2.6 will be darn good as well :-)

Talking about kernels, I reported to the linux-kernel mailing list an
Oops I was getting when running tcpdump (I think I mentioned some of
that in debian-sparc a couple of days ago.) I was running 2.4.18 but
when I upgraded to 2.4.19-pre9 the problem went away.

Now, Dave Miller asked me what compiler compiled the kernel that was
Oops'ing with tcpdump. I told him I was using this:

Linux version 2.4.19-pre8 (elparis@elparis-lnx) (gcc version egcs-2.92.11 19980921 (gcc2 ss-980609 experimental)) #7 Tue May 28 17:16:45 EDT 2002

and then someone else in linux-kernel told me that I was using an old
compiler and that I should upgrade.

This compiler is I think the default I got when I installed Woody
about a month ago. So, my question is: what compiler should I be using
to compile the Sparc kernel and my Debian packages on Sparc? Any
recommendations?

Thanks!

Eloy.-