Re: kernel 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 for sparc

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:02:17AM -0400, Eloy A. Paris wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 09:47:48PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > > Is 2.4.19-pre9 now as stable for Sparc/Sparc64 as it is for x86?
> > > Is there a web page/site that gives Sparc specific information about
> > > the kernel?
> >
> > Later 2.4.19pre's are pretty solid on sparc64. Our main archive server
> > is running 2.4.19pre(?) without much problems.
>
> Without much problems? So there are some problems? I am just curious :-)

Well, we've had a few minor nits. Some are not even related to the
kernel (RAID hardware). For the most part, the kernel has stood up
pretty well.

> In any case, I guess the fact that auric has been running Sparc Linux
> for some time now (more than a year?) is a testament to how solid Linux
> on Sparc is.  The workload on auric must be pretty high at all times,
> from all points of view (network, CPU, disk I/O, etc.)

It's definitely a workhorse, and it tasks most of the primary kernel
subsystems.

For those interested, auric.debian.org (aka ftp-master.debian.org) is an
UltraSPARC 60 with dual 450mhz UltraSPARC II's and 2 gigs of RAM.
Attached is a Netra A1000 RAID array, with 10 36gig drives (~245 gigs of
RAID 5 with 2 hotspares).

It's processes include postgresql (which handles the database of all our
packages, 10's of thousands of them). All incoming packages built by
developers are uploaded to this machine, which processes the incoming
packages every 15 minutes, placing them into a queue. Once a day, it
moves all of the packages into the main archive on the RAID, regenerates
the Packages listings, and begins a mirror push to the tier 1 mirrors.

That may not sound like much, but it can easily kill most machines, and
will generally pop up some strange bugs.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/