Re: Re (3): mp3blaster

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 07:31:12AM -0700, peter_easthope@gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca wrote:
> Thu, 16 May 2002 14:19:15 -0700, Rob wrote,
>
> > Go here ...:
> > "http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/sparcaudio.html";

> Thanks.  According to that page the 4c machines have an AMD79c30
> chip.  When modconf installs the 7930 driver there is a brief
> crackle from the speaker.  Progress!  At the same time the audio
> module is installed.  What is it?  A shim between the 7930 module
> and the kernel?  Pity that none of the descriptions are present in
> modconf.

I'm definitely not a kernel hacker (though I have compiled my own
several times...), but I believe that the audio module is an
abstraction that provides a uniform set of relatively high level
system calls for programs that want to access audio functions, which
sits atop the specific device driver for a chipset.

>  > (it doesn't look good...)
>
>  True, it is monophonic but that is better than having
>  no sound.

Well, for beeps and blurps, yes.  But I don't think I'd try to play
mp3 files through it.  :-)  (Then again, I'm extremely picky about
music quality -- I rip all my cd's with 'lame --r3mix', which yields
outstanding quality, but at a cost: average bitrate ranges from 140 -
240 kbps.)

> Now when mp3blaster is started on a file the display tries to show
> the Spkr, Line and Mic levels.  Then within a few milliseconds there
> is a bus error and the blaster quits.

Bummer.  Bus errors is what used to happen with mp3blaster and
sparcs.  Try mpg123 or mpg321 (or any other programs that talk to the
sound hardware) -- it may just be the program.

> The Web page referenced above mentions "...  some older kernels
> don't match the minor device assignments currently used, the audio
> snapshots do, and you should be using these anyway. All devices are
> character devices with major number 14."  What is this about?  What
> is an audio snapshot?  Can anyone elaborate or direct me to
> documentation which will explain in more detail.

No clue, sorry.

Later,
  Rob.