Re: Ethernet Cards and MAC Addresses

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 11:11:54AM -0600, David Morris wrote:
> I realize this is more of a hardware than debian software question, but I
> was hoping someone on the list has run into this before:
>
> I have an SBus ethernet card (Coax/AUI combo) in a Sarc Classic, and I
> recently noticed that the MAC address for both cards is the same....I
> installed the same card in my SS20, and again the SBus card has the MAC
> address of the MB port.
>
> Luckily, I have the two ports on different networks so there is no
> conflict, but I was wondering if this is normal behavior?

It's the normal default.

Use openprom setting 'local-mac-address?' to toggle whether you want them
to all share a MAC, or use the individual MAC on the cards themselves.

Note that some hardware (I believe Foundry Networks equipment falls into
this category) cannot live with the card set one way or the other
regardless of where the cables end up being plugged into.

Dave

--

- Dave Baker  :  dave@dsb3.com  :  dave@devbrain.com  :  http://dsb3.com/ -
GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D