Re: SILO on ss20

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 04:27:57AM -0400, Mark Eichin wrote:
> > I have placed silo.conf in the /boot fs and made a symbolic link from
> > /etc/silo.conf to /boot/silo.conf.
>
> I've been doing that on my ss10 and sparc5 systems as well...
>
> > Why do you rerun silo after an upgrade?
>
> the postinst runs siloconfig; at a quick glance, siloconfig prompts
> about running silo...  maybe the /boot/silo.conf option should be more
> explicitly supported [I tend to forget it myself...]

hmm, but the silo manual states that no run of silo is *required* after
an upgrade. Is the run a consistency check only then? Anyhow, having a
symlink from /etc/silo.conf (wherever it's located) to /boot/silo.conf
(located first on disk, below the 1G "limit") does silo still consider
it's reading a file where the sym link is located? Could we somehow get
silo to consider that "file", i.e., symlink, as the actual file, i.e.,
/boot/silo.conf?

Not messing around with the -c option of silo would be great, using the
symlink approach is neather IMHO.

Cheers,

/ChJ