Re: new Debian installation

well, I had no trouble with xserver-xsun on older sparcs; I haven't
tried on newer ones (since even the newer ones I have are only sparc
5s - an old sun is way more reliable hardware than an old PC of
similar vintage.)

As for updates: lock-step? not even a little bit - but the non-x86
buildd's ("build daemons") keep up well enough, certainly my daily
mirror sees both getting lots of volume, so it isn't really a
problem.  *security* updates do go out all at once, but you probably
don't want to be running potato anyway (I have two machines that track
unstable right now, but at least one of them will "stop" at
woody-stable when it actually gets released.)