Re: Help is needed to install linux on sparc IPX

On Tuesday 08 January 2002 01:11, Gavinux Li wrote:
> Hi, all,
> I am a newcomer to this mailing list.
> I got a sparc IPX recently, it has 48M memory, a SCSI
> harddisk, a floopy, a 10BaseT network interface,
> without keyboard, without monitor, without mouse.
> I want to install debian-linux on this IPX, How can I
> do it?
> I have a Pentium 75 with SCSI interface, maybe it will
> help to install linux.
>
> Anyone who can drop me a line of how to install it
> will be very appreciated!
>
> It is a big challange for me to do it without
> keyboard, monitor, CDROM.   :-(

You will need for  quick evaluation :

A null-modem cable between your pc with a decent terminal emulator
(9600 8N1),
A network connection between the PC and the IPX,
And a PC cdrom unit exported with NFS,
A boot disk and a root disk...

Booting on the network takes sometime a longer time to configure on the
installation server, but boot and root disks are useless in this case.

Eric.