Re: Help is needed to install linux on sparc IPX

--- digihans <digihans@wishmail.net> wrote:
> Gavinux Li wrote:
>
> > Hi, all,
> > I am a newcomer to this mailing list.
> > I got a sparc IPX recently, it has 48M memory, a
> SCSI
> > harddisk, a floopy, a 10BaseT network interface,
> > without keyboard, without monitor, without mouse.
> > I want to install debian-linux on this IPX, How
> can I
> > do it?
> > I have a Pentium 75 with SCSI interface, maybe it
> will
> > help to install linux.
> >
> > Anyone who can drop me a line of how to install it
> > will be very appreciated!
> >
> > It is a big challange for me to do it without
> > keyboard, monitor, CDROM.   :-(
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Gavin
> >

> Hi!
>
> I presume you know that there is a dedicated linux
> for sun web site with a lot
> of Q&A: http://www.ultralinux.org
> It explains how to net boot. You might even try to
> boot from floppy.

I read those FAQs, now I can read the boot information
though serial port under windwos.
Here is the message:

WARNING: Unable to determine keyboard typeCan't open
input device.
SPARCstation IPX, No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.4, 48 MB memory installed, Serial
#21636087.
Ethernet address 8:0:18:d:53:96, Host ID: 7562ef39.

Testing   1 megs of memory. Still to go    0

SBus slot 0 le esp dma
SBus slot 1
SBus slot 2
SBus slot 3 cgsix

Boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0   File and
args:
Bootblock: libprom.a: Romvec Version 2
Boot: libprom.a: Romvec Version 2
root on /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@3,0 fstype 4.2
Boot: vmunix
Size: 1269760+198464+101216 bytes
Kernel: libprom.a: Romvec Version 2
SunOS Release 4.1.2 (EXCELSIOR) #5: Tue Jan 24
09:54:27 EST 1995
Copyright (c) 1983-1991, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
mem = 49152K (0x3000000)
avail mem = 46809088
Ethernet address = 8:0:18:d:53:96
cpu = SUNW,Sun 4/50
zs0 at obio 0xf1000000 pri 12
zs1 at obio 0xf0000000 pri 12
audio0 at obio 0xf7201000 pri 13
sbus0 at SBus slot 0 0x0
dma0 at SBus slot 0 0x400000
esp0 at SBus slot 0 0x800000 pri 3
esp0:   Target 3 now Synchronous at 4.0 mb/s max
transmit rate
sd0 at esp0 target 3 lun 0
sd0: <SUN0424 cyl 1151 alt 2 hd 9 sec 80>
le0 at SBus slot 0 0xc00000 pri 5
cgsix0 at SBus slot 3 0x0 pri 7
cgsix0: screen 1152x900, single buffered, 1M mappable,
rev 6
fd0 at obio 0xf7200000 pri 11
WARNING: preposterous time in file system -- CHECK AND
RESET THE DATE!
root on sd0a fstype 4.2
swap on sd0b fstype spec size 32760K
dump on sd0b fstype spec size 32748K
cèecëiîç fileóùóteíó?    <--- here comes lots of
garbage messages!
Is it the system crashed?????

I need help on :
   1> How to enter command line status when I use
hyper-terminal in ///windows///?
   2> How to enter command line status when I use
minicom in ///Linux///?
   3> What is the device name of COM2 in linux, so I
can use minicom to communicate with IPX

> If there is anything left to be answered, feel free
> to ask....
> Probably your pentium is as fast as your IPX ;-)) ,
> but it will do nicely as
> dns-server or firewall
>
> Hans

You are all so nice. Thanks so much.