Re: ss5 sound

My Ultra 1 has the CS4231 chipset for audio as well.

It seems to me that after some initial problems, what worked was just
using the standard kernel.  After installation I installed the CS4231
module (modconf -> misc -> CS4231, the audio module came along with it
automatically) and then rebooted to make sure the sound module would
load at boot time.  You should see the message for CS4231 during bootup
and probably hear the speaker click about the same time as the audio
hardware comes online.

As an aside, I also installed "audioctl" which doesn't seem to be
available as a package but seems to be the only way to set your output
ports for the sound.  You'll probably have to download the source.
Check out
http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html#q_2_14
for info on sound on the sparcs.  (Note that this item applies to all
sparcs and not just "ultras")

After the make I just copied the resulting "audioctl" file to
/usr/local/bin/ and it works.
Use "audioctl -a" to see your current settings and "audioctl -w
setting=value" to change them.  I have to reset it (audioctl -w
play.port=0x6) to send on the line out and headphone out after every
reboot.  I've been meaning to put this in somewhere so it's automatic,
but I'm hoping to upgrade to Woody as soon as I get some X settings so
it's a low priority.

Hope this helps.
Tom Korte

------------------------------------
hi,

is it possible to play some mp3's on my old sparstation 5?

i was able to build the kernel with sound support load the cs4231 module
and use aumix (with some trouble - can't set the sound lower) and output
something to /dev/audio which made moise.

but if i want to start mpg123 it gives the output:

Audio device open for 11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 8.192Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Invalid argument
Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Invalid argument
SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT: Invalid argument
audio: Invalid argument

thanks in advance for any help.

--
bye,