Re: gcc working on sparc?

Ben Collins wrote:

> > Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >   libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.1.3-15) but 2.1.3-17 is to be installed
> > E: Sorry, broken packages
> >

> Well the obvious problem here is that you have manually installed the
> libc6 2.1.3-17 from the security updates, but now cannot install
> libc6-dev of the same version.

When you say "manually", do you mean you think I went and downloaded it
via ftp and then ran dpkg to install it? I don't mean to insult, I just
want to clarify, because I did it through "apt-get update; apt-get
upgrade"

> You need to either add the
> proposed-updates line to sources.list, or download the libc6-dev from
> the same place you got the libc6 package.

This seems something of a chore, but I guess I'll have to do it. How
often do such misalignments occur when using apt-get update/upgrade
primarily for security updates? I would have thought it would make sense
to place related updates on the server in one go, no?

--
Mike.Moran@ee.ed.ac.uk
                   Web: http://houseofmoran.com/