SS2: 2.4.17-rc2 boots and then nothing!?

Sorry 'bout my poor English...
SparcStation 2, woody (20th dec 2001, ftp.de.debian.org), kernel
2.2.20, running more or less fine, only some some small problems
(updating mandb segfaults, some messages "unimplemented sparc system
call" while the startup scripts are running, magicfilterconfig doesn't
work). But that's all not the point.

I know kernel 2.4.x has some problems with sparc32 and especially
with the sun4c architecture (SS2 = sun4c). I hoped for 2.4.17-rc2
but here are the symptoms:

- after selecting the kernel image on the silo prompt and just
  before the text "booting linux" is printed and the kernel switches
  to the framebuffer display some messages show up on the OBP
  console and IIRC the text was something with "ASM" in it - I can't
  really read it - it just disappears too fast...
- Kernel seems to boot fine but the last message on the screen
  is the one telling how much of unused kernel memory has been
  freed, just after the message that the root-fs (ext2) has been
  mounted. After that nothing happens - the process just stops there.
  The box accepts keyboard input but the only working thing is
  <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Del> to do a reboot...
- kernel configuration: no modversions, no smp, only the things
  I need are in the kernel, only a few modules: minix, openprom,
  vfat, loop
I can put my .config on a website if somebody wants to have a
look at it...

Is this a kernel bug or compiler bug or bug in daemon/application/
library (woody) or is the user (me) just too stupid :-)  ?

Greetings,
Andreas

--
To err is human; effective mayhem requires the root password!