Mail Server Questions

I've got Debian Potata on a SS2 which I'm setting up as the gateway from a
private LAN that has Win and Linux comps on it.

1) I want to set up a mail server to download my mail from a POP account on
www
2) Have this downloaded mail available to various clients on my local lan
(windows & linux machines) but all messages stored will be on the SS2 mail
server/repository.

Getting my mail from the POP is easy enough to set up a mail program but how
do I make that mail program also act as a server which clients on other
computers can read from/write to?

ie What program/configuration of programs can I use to implement this
solution.

I'm also looking to portability thus the mail server storage format should
be some standard form such that I can back up all messages and rebuild the
system if need be.

Thanks in advance
Damian