Re: strange ssh problem with dns...

Pierfrancesco Caci <ik5pvx@penny.ik5pvx.ampr.org> wrote:

> Hello, I receive these messages whenever someone connects to an
> ultra10 running linux 2.4.10-pre2
>
> Nov  9 12:06:36 etabeta sshd[766]: Could not reverse map address
> 172.16.1.9.
> Nov  9 12:06:41 etabeta sshd[766]: packet_set_maxsize: setting to 4096
>
> If I try to do a dns query on that machine, it works, and as far as I
> can tell, it is configured exactly the same as some other intel-based
> machines which do not have this problem.

Unless you're giving us a fake address, that system is on a private network
and probably behind a firewall or NAT gateway.

Make sure your network's internal DNS is working properly.  Run `host
172.16.1.9' and `dig -x 172.16.1.9' on the host that is giving those
errors.  The commands should return the remote hostname to you.

--
        Mike Hicks   [mailto:mhicks@csom.umn.edu]
   Unix Support Assistant    | Carlson School of Management