Re: strange ssh problem with dns...

:-> "Michael" == Michael Hicks <mhicks@csom.umn.edu> writes:

    > Unless you're giving us a fake address, that system is on a
    > private network
    > and probably behind a firewall or NAT gateway.

yes, it's my office lan, and it's (hopefully) accurately firewalled...

    > Make sure your network's internal DNS is working properly.  Run `host
    > 172.16.1.9' and `dig -x 172.16.1.9' on the host that is giving those
    > errors.  The commands should return the remote hostname to you.

It indeed works, otherwise also the other machines on the lan would
give that error. I'll try Ben's suggestions about ipv6 before doing
other more invasive tests.

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto:p.caci@tin.it  -  http://gusp.dyndns.org
  Firenze - Italia  | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.4.7 #1 Thu Jul 26 14:48:56 CEST 2001 i686 unknown