Re: fade to black

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.33.0110220942230.29094-100000@quidditch.measurecast.com> you write:
>I typically connect to my SunBlade 100 (running Debian unstable) via ssh
>in a remote terminal window. I used to use Konsole, though I've largely
>reverted these days back to plain-old xterm: black text, white
>background.

>Often, if I run grep and get a large amount of return data (say, 40
>lines or more -- though that's just a guess) my xterm will go to inverse
>colors (black background, white text) and stay that way until I kill the
>xterm and launch a new one.

>It happens both with konsole and xterm, and it only happens when running
>grep (i.e., I can't duplicate the color inversion by using cat to pump
>huge amounts of ascii through the terminal).

Don't grep binary files, or at least pipe the output to less.  (I bet
you would have the same problem if you used cat on the same files.)
The problem is the escape sequences the files contain.

On xterm, do control-middle buttion and choose "do full reset" to get out
of reverse video mode.

--
Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html