Re: Problems Installing Debian on a Sparc2

Ben Collins wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 12:37:10PM +1000, Del Campo, Damian wrote:
> > Hi, I've got a SparcStation 2 and I've downloaded potato for it.
> >
> > I've tried booting with the Debian CD but it doesn't boot, I think this may
> > be because the CD is external. It also has two external hard drives so I've
> > tried the boot both with them on and with them off.
> >
> > I've also tried booting with rescue.bin and the root.bin floppy disks but it
> > doesn't seem to notice them. I can see a light near the drive but there are
> > no messages during the boot that indicate it has looked at it. (My
> > understanding was that I use the rescue.bin, then root.bin then the drivers
> > disks, & then I should be able to go from the CDs)
> >
> > What am I doing wrong ?
>
> You aren't reading the docs. To boot from other than the default
> harddrive, you need to pass a command to the PROM. Read the install docs
> for how to do this (basically, you hit STOP+A, then type "boot xxxx",
> where xxxx is the something for either floppy or cdrom).

Also remember that for the old Sparcs (example, your Sparc WS 2) you
need to have the hard drive at SCSI ID 3 and the cdrom at SCSI ID 6 to
be bootable from the PROM (as Ben said "STOP+A", answer "n" then at the
OK prompt type "boot cdrom").

Debian can be installed from floppies (14 of them I believe? You will
need the sun4cdm floppies + base floppies). Do this if all else fails
(here do a "boot floppy" at the OK prompt.)

I could be wrong, but your in a situation to listen to anybody ;-). Give
it a go.

--J