Re: Debian on SPARCstation-5 ?

(replying to a message in the archives; I'm not subscribed, so please cc
me on any followups)

> The SPARCstation 5 with 170MHz is critical and not compareable with
> a SPARC LX or a slower SPARCstation 5. For some people it works,
> for other not or is very unstable.
> You should try it with different kernels.

FWIW I read about this after having installed potato on a 170MHz SS5
just yesterday :-)  Apparently the boot / installation procedure of
esp. Red Hat wasn't stable on the SS5 with 170MHz Fujitsu cpu; the
web page I read recommended installing on another "regular" SS5 and
then moving the disk over which would work fine.

My experience is that the installation went basically fine, except
that upon reboot I got a message "the loaded program doesn't seem
to be executable". So I booted from cd and passed "linux root=/dev/sda1"
to SILO, and that went fine.  I then apt-get upgraded to testing, and
reran silo in the course of that. However, I haven't yet rebooted
because I wanted to build a 2.4 kernel and haven't succeeded yet
(compilation errors, esp. relating to drivers/char/vt.c). Anything known
about problems with sparc and 2.4 kernels? I have 2.4.9.

But I'm a bit disappointed at how slow it is... Especially compared to
the SS20 I have at home with a 60 and 75MHz CPU module in there (not
really SMP as in symmetrical, but it seems to work...).

Paul Slootman