Adaptec 2940UW

Are there any tricks to get a stock Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card going on an
UltraSPARC system?  I have here an Ultra 30.  We've been running into
difficulties with the onboard SCSI controller (bus has been resetting --
best guess is that the bus ends up being too long for the devices we have
on it), so we were hoping to just pull an UltraSCSI card out of some other
system to get it to run our DLT drive.

I took the card out of a recently retired Novell server.

I can see the card when I do a `lspci' and the kernel seems to see
something when I try to load the module with `modprobe aic7xxx', but the
module goes into a slow loop when initializing, and apparently can't reset
the SCSI bus to see what's connected.

I saw that the OpenFirmware version of the card is needed for booting off
any connected devices, but that's not necessary here.  Do I need the OF
version anyway?

Thanks for any tips.

Otherwise, what are recommended cards for Linux/SPARC?

--
        Mike Hicks   [mailto:mhicks@csom.umn.edu]
   Unix Support Assistant    | Carlson School of Management