Re: Sparc20 and kernel 2.4.7: problem to boot

Thanks a lot.
I will waiting better days (actually I already try to follow progress of
other Linux projects)

Joel

PS: more I read about 2.4 (sparc, parisc, ...) more I thing it would better
named 2.3.xxxx :-;). Don't you?

                    Tad Bilby
                    <tbilby@rave.        To:     Joël Soete/BRU/MASTERCARD@MASTERCARD
                    com>                 cc:     debian-sparc@lists.debian.org@SMTP@EUROPAY
                                         Subject:     Re: Sparc20 and kernel 2.4.7: problem to boot
                    23-08-01
                    04:01 PM

Check the list archive-
2.4 and Sparc32 don't mix well-
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2001/debian-sparc-200107/msg00149.html

Joël Soete wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I found an old Sun Sparc20 station with dual processor, 64Mb of mem and 2
> disk of 1Gb.
> I successfully install the last Debian "potato (r3)".
>
> As it is a dual processor, I would like to test kernel 2.4 with
> multi-processor support.
> I first try to boot with unstable package
> "kernel-image-2.4.7-sun4u_14_sparc.deb" (and update libc6 and modutils).
> But SILO failed to load kernel: "decompressing error, uncompress image
too
> long, wouldn't fir into destination".
>
> Being newbee on Sparc Linux, all advises will be well come.
>
> Regards,
>      Joel

> This e-mail and any attachments to it may contain confidential
information which is strictly intended for the use of the authorised
recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and
notify the sender by replying to this e-mail.
listmaster@lists.debian.org

--
----
Tad Bilby