Re: Sparc has slow disk access

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> It would be worth upgrading the ultra to a recent 2.4 kernel from
> http://vger.samba.org. I found a > 10% improvement in some IO benchmarks
Are there any patches applied?  I just think about using
kernel-image-2.4.7 (or higher) from the Debian mirror. Because of
the recent problems with gcc-2.9.6/gcc-3.0 when compiling the kernel
I don´t want to compile the kernel myself.

> after the cache flush avoidance work went in.
By the way I noticed, that the difference in Speed could be caused
by PC using 2.4.x and Sparc 2.2.x but the difference to the
Sparc Solaris is amazing anyway.

Kind regards

        Andreas.