Re: Linux on a SunBlade 100

Jason Smith <jhs@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 07:47:22AM -0700, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> > After quite a few aborted attempts, I finally got Linux running on my
> > SunBlade 100. Here's a brief outline of what worked.
>
> Have you had any success getting XFree86 4 working on your Blade?

I am, for the most part, successfully using XFree86 4 on my sun blade
with Debian (from unstable as Ben Collins mentioned).  The only problem
I've encountered is that the keyboard mapping was very wrong, and that
some time last week, mozilla was crashing X, but I only tried that once;
I have been using konqueror.  The Sun Blade comes with a "Type 6"
keyboard for which there is no option on installation.  Various mappings
I tried have failed, but I'm sorry that I can't give more details at the
moment.

About a week ago, after using the console for quite a while, I just set
up the xmodmap by hand, giving the keycodes and the keys they correspond
to.  This is very usable hack at the moment, but I actually haven't
gotten around to mapping some keys, like the numeric keypad, etc., since
I hoped that this would only be a temporary solution.

If anyone knows more about this problem, I'd be glad for advice.  I can
provide my .xmodmap to anyone who wants it.

I'm very happily using Debian on my Sun Blade for a handful of
programming projects :)

peace,

Isaac