Re: More on Netra X1

Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> I have one running here.
lucky you :)

> You can use the my kernel for a blade100 from
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/kukuk/SPARC/...
which works (thanks), using the default OpenBoot serial console setting
(on port A, shared with LOM port).
Setting port B as the default console (in openboot) shows the same
problems as Ben's image (Warning: unable to open an initial console)

> I have no problems with it to boot over network and I don't need special
> arguments for the console, it works out of the box for me.
for me also, with your image.

> The only problem is you cannot install over network due the missing
> network driver support. But you can put the harddisk into another Sun
> and install it there.
I plan to use a cdrom connected to the X1's second ide bus (yes, it
works, it boots from it also)

> My network connection in the moment is a
> USB<->Ethernet adapter. It is not fast, but it works.
I haven't such an adapter, so I think I'll wait for the builtin nic
driver. Any news on this side?

> > I have to be 3 weeks late, since I'm still struck with the console
> > problem :)
> > I tried console=<many things> (ttya, ttyb, ttyS0)
>
> Which port do you use for the serial console with which parameters ?
As stated before, I tried both ttyb (splitting console and LOM port as
described into the X1 manual) and ttya, which works.

And now, an interesting question: what the "-p" boot parameter is?
It's needed with Ben's kernel (or otherwise it hangs on "Booting Linux")
but not with yours.
I looked around, but it's not listed as a standard linux kernel
parameter.

Last but not least... your image starts a Suse installation... not that
I don't like Suse (in fact I never used it) but I'd like to have an
image with a simple bash :)

Could someone help me in understanding how to build different boot
images?

Thanks.

--
.  Simone Caldana - System and Network Manager at Vitaminic spa  .
.  simone.caldana@vitaminic.net       http://simone.caldana.org  .