Headless SS2 + SS10

Dear Sirs,
    I am sorry to bother but I haven't been able to find the answer
anywhere else. I have both an SS10 and an SS2 running Debian 2.2R3, and
neither seems capable of running headless. I wish to remove the monitor
for the SS2 and use it as an Intranet webserver - keeping the monitor on
the shelf as a spare. Unfortunately, when I power on the system without
a monitor, it does not come up. Does anyone know if this can be easily
corrected? If so, how?

                            Jacques Richer