Debian 2.2r3 on Sun Enterprise 3500

I have an Enterprise 3500 machine that I am trying to install Debian on.

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be able to access the scsi drives
during install.  It sees the CDROM, but none of the six scsi drives in
the system.  No errors about unrecognized scsi controller or anything.
I can boot it with nfs root, but this is not ideal.

The same thing happens on SuSE 7.1 and RedHat 6.2.

Anybody had any luck getting Debian installed on a 3500?

Thanks,

-tduffy