Re: Fujitsu sparc based machine doesn't work with Debian

Fujitsu CPUs (SPARC64-III and IV) are made according to the SPARC V9
specification. However, because the spec. doesn't define the MMU and
the RAS (and others) exactly, these CPUs adopt other mechanism to
differentiate them from UltraSPARCs.

Anyway, they get along with the spec. and that's why Solaris can
run after modifying the architecture dependent portions. (FJ team
keeps porting them and maintaining them.)

Actually Fujitsu already ported Linux to test their CPUs in the
early development stage. It was done by the FJ HW guy, but it is not
GPL's one. However, the change is limited to MMU portions and it's not
a big deal.(though you have to know the difference. It might be headache.)

If you want to know the specification of Fujitsu CPUs, please check
the SPARC international Web page.

http://www.sparc.org/standards.html

Thanks.

Eiji Ota

P.S. If we can get the approval from the company, I hope we can
     make the Linux source code in public, but I can't gurantee we
     can do that.