Re: xmms stuttering

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 10:11:15PM -0600, T Korte wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a sparc specific problem, but it's happening on my
> Ultra1 nonetheless.
>
> Every so often when I'm playing mp3s on xmms the player begins to stutter
> and jitter.  Stopping the playback and then starting it again seems to fix
> it.  I don't have to quit xmms.  Perhaps this would point in the direction
> of esd rather than xmms?  I'm not sure but suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> I'm running Debian Sparc-testing using Window Maker and the enlightenment
> sound deamon.

It seems to be a buffering/blocking bug in esd, according to some
postings on linux-kernel. Red Hat comes with a newer esd (0.2.21 or
something like that) that doesn't have the problem, while Debian potato
is still on esd-0.2.17. You could try esound-0.2.22 from testing and
see if it solves the problem.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl