xmms stuttering

I'm not sure if this is a sparc specific problem, but it's happening on my
Ultra1 nonetheless.

Every so often when I'm playing mp3s on xmms the player begins to stutter
and jitter.  Stopping the playback and then starting it again seems to fix
it.  I don't have to quit xmms.  Perhaps this would point in the direction
of esd rather than xmms?  I'm not sure but suggestions would be
appreciated.

I'm running Debian Sparc-testing using Window Maker and the enlightenment
sound deamon.

Regards
Tom Korte