Re: Mozilla on sparc

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Stephane Monlibert - Sun france - ES - Support Engineer wrote:

> > On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Eduardo Trapani wrote:
> > >
> > > Both the stable Mozilla and the one at
> > > pandora.debian.org/~robots101/mozilla run incredibly slow on my Sparc
> > > Station 4m.  Other X applications seem to run OK, but Mozilla just
> > > crawls so that it seems it is not working.
> > >
> > > I always use a remote display, but for other applications that works
> > > alright.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on that, is it happening to anybody else?  I run Debian 2.2r3.
> > >
> > > Eduardo.
> >
> > Hi Eduardo,
> >
> > I think I know what you mean. My Mozilla behaves the same way. I
> > couldn't find out yet what's the problem. Till now I thought it was me
> > when I compiled X on my own, maybe I forgot to set an option or so (I
> > didn't set any options). I tried other version of Mozilla, they're
> > incredibly slow, too.
> > My Mozilla is from mozilla.org, but there aren't any newer sparc
> > packages anymore. I've got an Ultra1 running Debian/Woody pretty fine.
> >
> > Anyone a clue what's up here?
> >

> > Janine
>
> I've a Debian 2.2r3 on a U-5 270 MHz 380Mo RAM
> I've install mozilla with apt-get (I don't known the version)
>
> Mozilla is slow, but same as netscape under solaris
>
> I can use mozilla via telnet

My Mozilla is not just slow. Image you click on something (not
necessarily in the web, but also the task buttons). Then you _hear_
something is happening, but... then you have to wait about 30-60 seconds
to _see_ what it's doing. That's not really usable...

Janine

--
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.