Re: Mozilla on sparc

> > Mozilla is slow, but same as netscape under solaris
>
> My Mozilla is not just slow. Image you click on something (not
> necessarily in the web, but also the task buttons). Then you _hear_
> something is happening, but... then you have to wait about 30-60 seconds
> to _see_ what it's doing. That's not really usable...

That is what is happening to me too.

I telnet to the Sparc box, start the program, let it load the start page
and then move to another virtual desktop.  When I get back to the
original virtual desktop the mozilla window takes minutes to refresh.
Same thing with Netscape.  Sometimes it takes a while to happen, visit a
couple of pages with images and you will be able to reproduce it.

If I do then a netstat, the send queue on the Sparc side of the
conection to the X display (I only use a remote window) is big (> 40k).
And it takes forever to drain.  When it does drain the window starts to
show but for a simple page it might take ten or fifteen minutes before
that happens.  Meanwhile an xclock running on the Sparc is changing the
display every second without any problem and the send queue is always
empty.

It might be a kernel problem.  Obviously Netscape is working fine and
does know how to redraw itself, but for some reason the data gets stuck
at the TCP connection and does not go out or does really slow.  Since
xclock works I think the problem might be related to the amount of
information Netscape tries to send.  I only have 64M of memory, but I
don't think that is the problem.  It might be the network card too ...

Janice, are you using the kernel 2.2.18pre21?

Eduardo.