Re: DANGEROUS ?? help needed

> On Mar 01, Q89029292 scratched in indelible ink :

> replace your files by looking up the dpkg database, for the installed
> packages then expand the debs using tar? to expand only the /usr
> directory.

when I hosed my alpha by screwing up the partition table and lost *all* of
/usr :(  I grepped the installed packages out of /var/lib/dpkg/status into a
text file,
grep ^Package /var/lib/dpkg/status |cut -f 2 -d ' '|sort >installed_packages

then did an:
apt-get install --reinstall `cat installed_packages`

sure it probably copied over other stuff as well, but it was quick and
painless.

/Jp... system admin^wrecoverer
--
Jean-Paul Blaquière             ||   Avatar of Computational
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au   ||   Thaumaturgy