Re: SMP on 2xSM50?

Sun Sparc10/20 computers have a modular bus that allows you to plugin two
cpu cards.  Each card can have either one or two procs.  In theory you can
have a 4way sparc 10, although most I have seen are configured with only
one CPU.  My machine happens to have two SM50 cpu cards in it (cause I
distilled two machines into one).

When the sparc10 boots, at the console it will tell you how many CPUs (out
of four) it finds, at least with every version of the PROM I have seen.  At
runtime under linux, you can examine /proc/cpuinfo (i.e. cat /proc/cpuinfo)
to see how many, and what kind of procs are configured.

The easiest way to get a SMP kernel in Debian is just get the premade
Symetric Multi Processor (SMP) package version of the kernel for your
machine.  Lets assume you have a dual proc sparc 10 like me, and you are
running Debian 2.2r2, with kernel 2.2.18pre21.  Use your favorite package
tool to do something like.

    apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.18pre21-sun4dm-smp

Reboot, and enjoy your shiny new SMP operating system.

NOTE:  Although if you _do_ use SM50 cards prepare to routinely and
unexpectedly halt. :)  I switched to a pair of SM61 which include 1MB of
ecache yesterday.  So far things are looking good.