Re: kernel src 2.4 and woody

* on the Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 02:07:08PM -0500, John F. Davis was blubbering:
> Hello
>
> I am running woody and I tried to build the 2.4 kernel source.
>
> I was unsucessful when compiling the modules.  (I think it was because I
> had selected the dbri module.)  How can I install the latest 2.4 kernel
> source?  I used dselect with apt the last time.

Depends. On Sparc/32 normally
"make menuconfig; make clean dep vmlinux modules modules_install".
in /usr/src/linux. Then copy the resulting arch/sparc/boot/vmlinux
to where you need it (/boot/vmlinux), edit /etc/silo.conf and run
silo (you don't need to run it every time you install a new kernel).

However, 2.4.x has "issues", so I was told, on Sparc/32. In clear:
they won't boot at all for me on my Sparc 10. 2.4.1 isn't any better.

Peter
--
"Any good Unix security engineer can clean up any Unix box. But I'm not
 sure there are people even within Microsoft who know how to clean up