Re: Which floppy drive

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 01:28:21PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Andreas Jaehnigen wrote:
>
> > > Hmm, my box seems not to find the tftp image.  It just repeats:
> > > Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
> >
> > Is your ARP server up and running? This message is typically generated due
> What is an "ARP server".

An ARP request is an ethernet broadcast that basically says: "I've IP
number a.b.c.d, now what is the hardware ethernet addres for this
machine so I can talk to it using ethernet unicasts?" The machine with
IP number a.b.c.d responds by sending back a message to identify
itself.

A RARP server does the opposite: a machine (your Sun) knows its
ethernet hardware address, so it sends out a RARP request to ask for
its corresponding IP number. If the RARP server knows about it, it
sends back a message to tell the host.

What's going wrong in your case is that the RARP server isn't properly
setup, or that the RARP server isn't configured at all.

> I followed the instructions in the SPARC install manual topic 6.5.3.
> My problem is:  How does the sun find the server.  How does it search the
> net for such kind of server.  How can I tell the IP of the tftp server?

By getting the RARP server up.

To see what's going on, log on to a third machine, and start tcpdump:

  tcpdump -e -l -vv ether host <sun hardware address> or \
    ether host <rarp server hardware address>

You should see messages like: "who-has bla", "I have bla".

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl